From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
In the Sherlock Holmes stories
- Inspector of the Surrey Constabulary.
- Baynes was a stout, puffy, red man, whose face was only redeemed from grossness by two extraordinarily bright eyes, almost hidden behind the heavy creases of cheek and brow. (WIST, 179)
- He was wrongly convinced that don Murillo should be sent at Guildford Assizes. (WIST, 753)
Relationship with Holmes
- Inspector Tobias Gregson of Scotland Yard introduced inspector Baynes to Sherlock Holmes. (WIST, 65)
- Baynes wired to Tobias Gregson to run to Sherlock Holmes in London when he was examining Wisteria Lodge. (WIST, 229)