House M.D. (TV series 2004-2012)
House M.D. then House is an American TV series created by David Shore, produced by NBC and UMS, aired through 8 seasons and 176 episodes between 2004 and 2012 on Fox, starring Hugh Laurie as Dr. Gregory House.
This medical show is about a misanthrope M.D. with unconventional methods which have some similarities with Sherlock Holmes ones such as observations and deductions.
Similarities with Sherlock Holmes
David Shore, the creator of the show, was a Sherlock Holmes fan and the series has a lot of sherlockian links :
- The character name House has been choosen because of the similar sounding than Holmes (i.e. Homes).
- House lives at 221 Baker Street, appartment B.
- House is a drug addict. But with Vicodin.
- His best friend is Dr. James Wilson.
- In episode It's a Wonderful Lie, House receives a Conan Doyle book as a Christmas gift.
- In episode The Itch, the book The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes can be found in his appartment.
- In episode Joy to the World, House uses a book from Dr. Joseph Bell (the professor of Edinburgh University which has inpired Conan Doyle for creating Sherlock Holmes). The book was offered by Wilson with the message: « Greg, it recalls me you. » The book belonged to an former patient called Irene Adler.
- Other characters have a sherlockian reference:
- Miss Adler (Everybody Lies)
- Ester Doyle (All In)
- Jack Moriarty (No Reason)
- Irene Adler (Joy to the World)