A Study in Sherlock
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
A Study in Sherlock is the 4th episode of season 6 of the Canadian TV series Murdoch Mysteries produced by Shaftesbury Films / Granada International aired on 28 january 2013. 42 minutes.
About Sherlock Holmes in this fiction:
- The title of the episode is a reference to the Conan Doyle's A Study in Scarlet.
- Sherlock Holmes is played by Andrew Gower, but he is in fact David Kingsley an insane young man pretending to be the detective.
- He yells « Elementary my dear Crabtree! » to the policeman.
- Crabtree uses the famous maxim: « When you eliminate the impossible, what remains... »
- The diamond is hidden in a miniature boat called "Sunrise", renamed "Aurora" by the fake Sherlock Holmes as a reference to the Conan Doyle's novel The Sign of Four.
- The fake Sherlock Holmes is persuaded that Moriarty is in activity in Toronto.
- Sebastian Moran is the accomplice of the fake Sherlock Holmes' uncle.
About Conan Doyle in this fiction:
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is played by Geraint Wyn Davies.
- He is called "Mr. Doyle" (rather than "Conan Doyle") throughout the whole episode.
- He has long hair and almost no mustache (which never happened to the real Conan Doyle).
- As the episode takes place between The Final Problem and The Empty House, the fake Sherlock Holmes invents how he survived the fight with Moriarty (the head Llama, Khalifa at Khartoum and Sebastian Moran...) which would inspire Conan Doyle for the return of Sherlock Holmes.
Sherlock Holmes / David Kingsley
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
(Geraint Wyn Davies)
After a robber is murdered by his accomplice during a heist, Murdoch's prime suspect is an incredibly perceptive man who claims to be Sherlock Holmes. Conan Doyle make a brief return appearance in order to convince this fake Sherlock Holmes that he can't be what he pretends.
- Detective William Murdoch : Yannick Bisson
- Dr. Julia Ogden : Hélène Joy
- Inspector Thomas Brackenreid : Thomas Craig
- Constable George Crabtree : Jonny Harris
- Dr. Emily Grace : Georgina Reilly
- Constable Henry Higgins : Lachlan Murdoch
- Sherlock Holmes / David Kingsley : Andrew Gower
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle : Geraint Wyn Davies
- Oscar Kingsley : Michael Rhoades
- Bank Manager : Michael Copeman
- Sebastian Moran : Steve Boyle
- Guard : Andrew Loder
- Guard : Barry Flatman
- Machinist : Ty Kostyk
- Getaway Driver : Costa Kamateros
- Flower Girl : Maxi Jennings
- Director : Don McCutcheon
- Screenplay : R. B. Carney, Cal Coons, Alexandra Zarowny, Graham Clegg
- Producers : Jan Peter Meyboom, Julie Lacey, Stephen Montgomery
- Co-Executive Producers : Paul Aitken, Carol Hay, Shane Kinnear
- Executive Producers : Scott Garvie, Christina Jennings, Samantha McMillon, Peter Mitchell
- Associate Producer : Teresa M. Ho
- Original Music : Robert Carli
- Cinematography : James Jeffrey
- Film Editor : Vesna Svilanovic
- Casting : Diane Kerbel
- Production Design : Sandra Kybartas
- Art Direction : Armando Sgrignuoli
- Set Decoration : Kent McIntyre
- Costume Design : Alexander Reda
- Key Makeup Artist : Debi Drennan
- Key Hair Stylist : Lucy Orton