From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Arthur Wontner (21 january 1875 - 10 july 1960) was a British actor who played Sherlock Holmes in 5 movies from 1931 to 1937. He was 56 when he played Sherlock Holmes at the cinema for the first time in The Sleeping Cardinal in 1931, The Missing Rembrandt in 1932, The Sign of Four the same year, the Triumph of Sherlock Holmes in 1935 and Silver Blaze in 1937.
And on television in 1951, for the Festival of Britain and for the Sherlock Holmes Exhibition in London, he appeared in a short newsreel alongside Denis Conan Doyle : The Return of Sherlock Holmes.
- 1931 : The Sleeping Cardinal (as Sherlock Holmes)
- 1932 : The Missing Rembrandt (as Sherlock Holmes)
- 1932 : The Sign of Four (as Sherlock Holmes)
- 1935 : The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes (as Sherlock Holmes)
- 1937 : Silver Blaze (as Sherlock Holmes)
- 1951 : The Return of Sherlock Holmes (newsreel) (as himself)