From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
In the Sherlock Holmes Stories
- Inspector of Scotland Yard.
- He was in charge of the Sholto murder. (SIGN)
Relationship with Holmes
- When Gregson, or Lestrade, or Athelney Jones were out of their depths - which, by the way, was their normal state - the matter was laid before Sherlock Holmes. (SIGN, 40)
- He remember Sherlock Holmes as a "theorist". (SIGN, 1013)
- He will never forget how Holmes lectured him on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case. Which he admited Holmes set him on the right track; but thought it was more by good luck than good guidance. (SIGN, 1015)