From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
This questionnaire was filled by Arthur Conan Doyle on 29 october 1899 at Undershaw.
It is not known why Conan Doyle filled this questionnaire. However, it was probably part of a parlor game, which were popular in the late 19th century.
Questions / Answers
- Your favourite virtue? Unaffectedness
- Your favourite qualities in man? Manliness
- Your favourite qualities in woman? Womanliness
- Your favourite occupation? Work
- Your chief characteristic? I really don't know
- Your idea of happiness? Time well filled
- Your idea of misery? Nothing to do
- Your favourite colour and flower? Quite impartial
- If not yourself, who would you be? ############# < (hope this is clear)
- Where would you like to live? Here
- Your favourite poets? Kipling
- Your favourite painters and composers? No strong opinions
- Your favourite heroes in real life? Men who do their duty without fuss
- Your favourite heroine in real life? Ditto
- Your favourite heroes in fiction? No strong preferences
- Your favourite heroines in fiction? Margaret in "Cloisters & Hearth"
- Your favourite food and drink? Anything when hungry — nothing when not
- Your favourite names? A good horse never had a bad name
- Your pet aversion? Affectation — conceit
- What characters in history do you most dislike? Very tolerant to them all
- What is your present state of mind? Jaded
- For what fault have you most toleration? All of them — except cruelty & meanness
- Your favourite moto? "Hope for the best — prepare for the worst"
A Conan Doyle
oct 29th /99 Undershaw
- Image courtesy of the Harry Ransom Center.