Bryan Mary Julia Josephine Doyle
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Bryan Mary Julia Josephine Doyle aka Dodo (2 march 1877 - 8 february 1927) was the 9th child of Charles Altamont Doyle and Mary Josephine Foley, and the 7th sister of Arthur Conan Doyle.
The Christian name "Bryan" was dedicated to a friend of the family Bryan Charles Waller who helped their finances. The records for baptism shows "B. Mary Julia Josephine" which may indicate that this choice was not approved by the Church.
- "Mary" is probably dedicated to her sister which died aged 2 in 1863, 14 years earlier.
- "Julia" was dedicated to Julia Waller, the mother of Bryan Charles Waller.
- "Josephine" to her own mother Mary Josephine Foley.
She wrote 2 novels under the pen name H. Ripley Cromarsh : The Episodes of Marge: Memoirs of a Humble Adventuress (1903) and The Secret of the Moor Cottage (1906). And also a volume of verse At the Waters of Strife (1918) under her real name (Brayn Mary Angell).
Family photo. Bryan Mary is standing 2nd from right, with her husband Cyril Angell on her left (1904).
- 2 march : Birth at 2 Argyle Park Terrace, Edinburgh.
- 6 april : She was baptized at St. Mary's Cathedral, Broughton, Edinburgh.
- April : She was living at 15 Lonsdale Terrace, Edinburgh, with her mother and brothers/sisters.
- Late 1883 : Bryan Mary and family moved to Masongill, Yorkshire.
- 16 december : She was witness at the Jane and Nelson Foley's marriage at Thornton-in-Lonsdale.
- Bryan Mary became engaged to Charles Cyril Angell.
- 11 april : Marriage to Rev. Charles Cyril Angell in St. Oswald’s Church, Thornton-in-Lonsdale near Masongill, Yorkshire.
- 2 july : Birth of their child, Branford Bryan Angell.
- Publication of her first novel : The Episodes of Marge: Memoirs of a Humble Adventuress, as H. Ripley Cromarsh.
- Publication of her second novel : The Secret of the Moor Cottage, as H. Ripley Cromarsh.
- 12 december : Bryan Mary went to the Scala Theatre, London, with Arthur Conan Doyle, Innes Doyle and Jean Leckie.
- Publication of a volume of verse : At the Waters of Strife, as Bryan Mary Angell.
- 8 february : She died at 49 in hospital at Paulton, Somerset.
- She was buried at All Saints Church, Dunkerton, Somerset.
As H. Ripley Cromarsh
- 1903 : The Episodes of Marge: Memoirs of a Humble Adventuress (Grant Richards)
- 1906 : The Secret of the Moor Cottage (Small, Maynard & Co.)
As Bryan Mary Angell
- 1918 : At the Waters of Strife (Gay and Hancock)
- Letter to editor Grant Richards (18 march 1903)
Arthur Conan Doyle revealed that his sister's pen name was H. Ripley Cromarsh.