D. Appleton & Co.
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
D. Appleton & Co. was an American publishing company founded by Daniel Appleton (1785-1849) who opened a general store which included books. He published his first book in 1831. The company's publications gradually extended over the entire field of literature. He retired in 1848 and was succeeded by his sons William Henry Appleton (1814-1899), John Adams Appleton (1817-1881), George Swett Appleton (1821-1878), Daniel Sidney Appleton (1824-1890) and Samuel Francis Appleton (1826-1883). In 1880 the company co-founded the American Book Company. In 1933, it merges with The Century Company to form the Appleton-Century Company and in 1948 with F. S. Crofts Co. to form Appleton-Century-Crofts. The company was sold in 1960 to Meredith Publishing Company.
Between 1894 and 1926, the company published 11 novels, 61 short stories and 2 articles written by Arthur Conan Doyle.
Conan Doyle published by D. Appleton & Co.
- ---.11.1894 : Round the Red Lamp (Uniform edition)
- 08.03.1896 : The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (Uniform edition) 24 ill. by W. B. Wollen
- 17.11.1896 : Rodney Stone (Uniform edition) 12 ill. by Sidney Paget
- ---.03.1899 : A Duet, with an Occasional Chorus (Uniform edition)
- ---.---.1901 : chapter XX. Dr. A. Conan Doyle Contributes: A First Impression in War's Brighter Side
- ---.---.1903 : Author's Edition (joint venture with Smith, Elder & Co.)
- 01. The White Company
- 02. Micah Clarke
- 03. The Refugees
- 04. Rodney Stone
- 05. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- 06. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
- 07. A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four
- 08. The Great Shadow and Uncle Bernac
- 09. A Duet, with an Occasional Chorus
- 10. Tragedy of the Korosko and The Green Flag
- 11. The Stark Munro Letters and Round the Red Lamp
- 12. The Exploits of Brigadier Gerard
- 13. The Hound of the Baskervilles
- ---.---.1926 : chapter IV. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (p. 27-36) and Summary by Arthur Conan Doyle (p. 113-128) in My Religion
Round the Red Lamp (1894)
The Stark Munro Letters (1895)
Rodney Stone (1896)
Uncle Bernac (1897)
War's Brighter Side (1901)