From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
In the Sherlock Holmes Stories
- Jonathan Small was one of The Four with which he stole the Agra treasure to the Rajah.
- He was a poorly educated man, small, active, with his right leg off, and wearing a wooden stump. (SIGN 1093)
- Jonathan Small was an Englishman born near Pershore, Worcestershire, from a family of farmers (SIGN 2351).
- At 18, he got into a mess over a girl, and could only get out of it again by taking the Queen's shilling and joining the 3rd Buffs, which was just starting for India.
- He lose his right leg in the Ganges when a crocodile nipped it off just above the knee.
- A few years later he was hired as an overseer to look after the coolies of an indigo-planter in Muttra in the Northwest provinces of India.
- When the Indian mutiny occured, the plantation was destroyed and he left to Agra.