From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Arthur Conan Doyle has been honoured by almost 50 plaques around the world. 36 plaques in UK (mostly where he lived, studied, practised and wrote), 6 in Switzerland (when he stayed with his first wife and where Sherlock Holmes died), 3 in USA (where Conan Doyle toured for lectures), 2 in Australia (lecture tours as well) and 1 in Italy (where he visited the country).
Thanks to Brian W. Pugh, Roger Johnson and Jean-Pierre Crauser for their contributions.
- 1 UK
- 2 Switzerland
- 3 Italy
- 4 USA
- 5 Australia
23 George Square, Edinburgh, Scotland (unveiled on 20 november 1987)
« Arthur Conan Doyle lived here 1876-1880. »
2 Picardy Place, Edinburgh, Scotland (unveiled on 22 april 1949)
« Arthur Conan Doyle. Creator of Sherlock Holmes was born at No. 11 Picardy Place, formerly opposite here on 22nd May 1859. »
11 Picardy Place, Edinburgh, Scotland (unveiled in april 1949)
« Creator of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, was born here 22th May 1859. »
From left to right: James Seager (editor of the Edinburgh Evening News), John Doyle, and Sir Andrew Murray (Lord Provost).
Statue of Sherlock Holmes, 12 Picardy Place, Edinburgh, Scotland (unveiled on 24 june 1991)
« In memory of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Born on 22 May 1859 close to this spot. Donated to the City of Edinburgh by Edinburgh and Lothians branch of the Federation of Masters Builders on the Federation's 50th anniversary. Unveiled on 24 June 1991 by Professor Geoffrey D. Chisholm. Ch.M., P.R.C.S. Eng., F.R.C.P. Ed., F.R.A.C.S.(Hon.), F.C.S.(SA)(Hon.) President, The Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh. »
« The University of Edinburgh in honour of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930, Medical graduate of the University, Author and creator of Sherlock Holmes. »
The Last Drop, 74-78 Grassmarket, Edinburgh, Scotland (unknown date)
« Famous Scots - Arthur Conan Doyle, May 22nd 1859 - July 7th 1930. Born in Edinburgh. Prolific author best known for crime fiction with his detective Sherlock Holmes. »
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930. On this site formerly stood No. 1 Durnford Street where between 1882 and 1884  Conan Doyle practised medicine. His time in Devon undoubtedly inspired his later literary work "The Hound of the Baskervilles". »
93 Durnford Street, Plymouth, UK (unveiled on 24 june 1991)
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930. In 1882 Conan Doyle practised medicine at No. 1 Dumford Street . Unfortunately the relationship with his practice partner was an unhappy one and ended with Conan Doyle moving to Southsea. During his spare time from his medical profession he became more involved in his writings. 'A Study of Scarlet' , the first of 68  stories featuring Sherlock Holmes, appeared in 1887. Conan Doyle's time in Devon undoubtedly inspired his later literary work, 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. A Holmes cult arose and still flourishes today. »
1-17 Elm Grove, Southsea, Portsmouth, UK (unveiled on 22 june 2006)
« Arthur Conan Doyle began his professional career as a GP at No. 1 Bush Villas in the summer of 1882. He had arrived in Portsmouth in the June of that year, from Plymouth, with no job, nowhere to live, and little more than £10 to his name. While he lived in Portsmouth, Conan Doyle threw himself into the life of the City. He joined the local Portsmouth Literary and Scientific Society, gave numerous speeches on topics of the day, and played for the local cricket and bowls teams, as well as being the first goalkeeper for what is now Portsmouth Football Club. He also began a second career, writing successful novels including Micah Clarke and The White Company, as well as the first two Sherlock Holmes novels, A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of Four. Portsmouth was, in this sense, the birthplace of the world's greatest ever fictional detective. By the time Arthur Conan Doyle left Portsmouth he had proved himself to be a great friend to many Portsmouth residents, an active local sportsman, and a successful and valued doctor. He had discovered spiritualism, become a father, and created one of the famous literary figures the world has ever known. It is little wonder that he remembered the City with such great fondness for the rest of his life. »
1-17 Elm Grove, Southsea, Portsmouth, UK (replaced in 2015-2016)
[Plaque image to be found]
1-17 Elm Grove, Southsea, Portsmouth, UK (the pale blue was unveiled on 18 november 1982, then removed in 2005 and replaced by the pink one on 22 june 2006)
« Doctor Arthur Conan Doyle M.D. practised from 1882 until 1890 at No. 1 Bush Villas which formerly stood on this site. It was here the first Sherlock Holmes story was written. »
« Doctor Arthur Conan Doyle M.D. practised from 1882 until 1890 at No. 1 Bush Villas which formerly stood on this site. It was here that the first two Sherlock Holmes novels were written. »
Bench in Arundel Street, Portsmouth, UK (unveiled in 2004)
63 Aston Road North, Birmingham, UK (unveiled on 14 april 1956)
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lived here 1878-1881. »
63 Aston Road North, Birmingham, UK (unveiled on 29 october 1976)
« Birmingham Civic Society | Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Creator of Sherlock Holmes lived here 1878-1881. »
Statue of Arthur Conan Doyle, Cloke's Corners, Beacon Road, Crowborough, Sussex, UK (unveiled on 14 april 2001)
Statue : « Arthur Conan Doyle, Resident of Crowborough 1907-1930. » Sculpted by David Cornell.
Bench : « To the Memory of Dame Jean Conan Doyle 1912-1997. Donated by The Sherlock Holmes Society of London. »
Windlesham Manor, Hurtis Hill, Crowborough, Sussex, UK (unveiled in 1984)
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle | Author (1859-1930) lived here from 1907 onwards. »
Montargis Terrace, Croft Road, Crowborough, Sussex, UK (unveiled on 23 may 1992)
« 1859-1930 in memory of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle resident of Crowborough 1907-1930 Steel True and Blade Straight. »
The Whitehill Centre, Whitehill Road, Crowborough, Sussex, UK (unveiled on 24 february 1994)
« Opened by Dame Jean Conan Doyle, D.B.E. , 24th February 1994. »
The High Moorland Visitor Centre, Princetown, Devon, UK (unveiled on 9 june 1993)
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930 stayed at the Duchy Hotel in April 1901 whilst writing 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. Erected by The Franco-Midland Hardware Company, Sherlock Holmes Society, 1993. »
The Drunken Gardens, Groombridge Place Estates, Groombridge, Sussex, UK (unveiled on 1 july 1995)
« In memory of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930 a frequent visitor to Groombridge Place opened by Mrd Georgina Doyle & Dame Jean Conan Doyle 1st July 1995. »
The Hill House, Happisburgh, Norfolk, UK (unveiled on 15 july 2006)
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote 'The Adventure of the Dancing Men' here in 1903, in which Sherlock Holmes cracks a code inspired by Conan Doyle's visits to The Hill House. THe Eastern Daily Press - Norwich School of Art & Design. »
12 Tennison Road, Croydon, South London, UK (unveiled on 18 may 1973)
« Greater London Council | Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930 Creator of Sherlock Holmes lived here 1891-1894. »
Langham Hotel, Langham Place, London, UK (unveiled on 19 march 2010)
« City of Westminster - Oscar Wilde and Arthur Conan Doyle dined here with the publisher of 'Lippincott's Magazine' on 30 August 1889, a meeting that led to 'The Sign of Four' & 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'. Sherlock Holmes Society of London - Oscar Wilde Society. »
2 Upper Wimpole Street, London, UK (unveiled on 22 may 1994)
« Westminster City Council | Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Author 1859-1930 worked and wrote here in 1891. Arthur Conan Doyle Society. »
16 Queensberry Place, London, UK (unknown date)
« The College of Psychic Studies. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Author and Spiritualist 1859-1930, President of this College from 1926 to 1930. »
Fanlight at 2 Devonshire Place, London, UK (unknown date)
« Conan Doyle House. »
Rochester Square Spiritualist Temple, Rochester Square, London, UK (laid on 30 october 1926)
« Foundation stone laid by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, October 30th 1926. »
Worthing Spiritualist Church, Grafton Road, Worthing, Sussex, UK (unveiled on 24 march 1926)
« To commemorate the opening of this church by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle on 24th March 1926. »
Kingston upon Thames
Kingston Spiritualist Church, Villiers Road, Kingston upon Thames, London, UK (laid on 23 april 1927)
« To the glory of God & the angel world this stone was laid by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle MA LLD, April 23rd 1927. »
Undershaw, Hindhead, Surrey, UK (unveiled in 1997 and new one on 9 september 2016)
Before Stepping Stones:
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Patriot, Physician and Man of Letters lived and worked here 1897-1907. Erected by the FMHC  Study Group in 1997. »
After Stepping Sones:
« The Haslemere Society | Undershaw home of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1897-1907 Author Creator of Sherlock Holmes. »
Sherlock Holmes Museum, Bahnhofstrasse, Meiringen, Switzerland (unveiled on 1st may 1968)
« Borough of Meiringen | Conan Doyle Place. »
Parkhotel du Sauvage, Bahnhofstrasse, Meiringen, Switzerland (unveiled in 1987)
« In this hotel, called by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the Englischer Hof. Mr. Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson spent the night of 3rd/4th May 1891. It was from here that Mr. Holmes left for the fatal encounter at the Reichenbach Falls with Professor Moriarty, the Napoleon of Crime. »
Riffelalp, Zermatt, Switzerland (unveiled on 19 june 2005 )
« Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930 Physician, Sportsman and Author. The Cretaor of Sherlock Holmes. Sir Arthur stayed at the Riffelalp in August 1893. Here he conceived the idea of the fateful encounter at the Reichenbach Falls between the Great Detective and Professor Moriarty, the Napoleon of Crime. »
« In tribute to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930. English author — creator of Sherlock Holmes — and sportsman, who on March 23, 1894, crossed the Maienfelder Furka from Davos to Arosa on skis, thereby bringing this new sport and the attractions of the Swiss Alps in winter to the attention of the world. The perfect pattern of a gentleman. »
Villa Am Stein, Davos, Switzerland (unknwon date)
« In diesem Hause weilten die weltbekannten Dichter. Robert Louis Stevenson im winter 1881-1882, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle im winter 1893-1894, Thomas Mann im Frühjahr 1912. »
(In this house lived the most famous poets of the world. Robert Louis Stevenson in winter 1881-1882, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in winter 1893-1894, Thomas Mann in spring 1912.)
In front of island La Gailoa, Posillipo, Naples, Italy (unveiled in may 2004)
« Sir Artur  Conan Doyle letterato inglese. Cavaliere della Corona d'Italia visito'questi luoghi nel 1896 e nel 1902 ed incantato dalla loro bellezza vi trasse ispirazione per alcuni dei suoi celebri scritti. Nel maggio 2004. L'Associazione Uno Studio in Holmes ed il Circolo e il Pozzo e il Pendolo Q.M.P. »
"Sir Arthur Conan Doyle literrary English Knight of the Italian Crown visited this place in 1896 and in 1902 and enchanted by its beauty it inspired him for some of his famous writings. In May 2004. The society Uno Studio in Holmes and the society The Pit and the Pendulum Q.M.P."
2151 Sacramento Street, San Francisco, USA (unknown date)
« This house, built in 1881, was once occupied by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  »
Union Station's Grand Hall, Indianapolis, USA (unveiled on 15 october 1994)
« This memorial commemorates the visit to Indianapolis of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, physician, author and creator of the immortal sleuth Sherlock Holmes. Dr. Doyle arrived at Union Station on October 15, 1894. During his visit, he dined with famed Hoosier poet James Whitcomb Riley, lectured at Plymouth Vhurch, and ascended to the top of The Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument. Placed by The Illustrious Clients of Indianapolis, October 15, 1994. »
« Arthur Conan Doyle, Carnegie Hall, April 12, 1922, Author. »
Photo © Baker Street Babes collection.
Corner of Rundle Street and Pulteney, Adelaide, Australia (unveiled in 1995 and 2004)
« The Case of the Wandering Spirit - Arthur Conan Doyle in Australia - On the vast curve of an Adelaide beach, Doyle reflects that conjuring, Sherlock back from the grave, Was elementary work, Real death is harder to persuade, Though it lets through whispers, And exposes the occasional ghost, The afterlife theory he tours, Packs curious thousands into lecture halls, But his proof of miracles is not enough, They can't connect the clues, And without Holmes himself, There to declare the mystery solved, The case remains open. — Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930), creator of Sherlock Holmes, visited Adelaide in 1920 and stayed at Gibson's Grand Central Hotel which previously occupied this site. »
The Writers Walk, Circular Quay, Sydney, Australia (unveiled in 1991)
« Arthur Conan Doyle 1859-1930 : we all devoted ourselves to surf-bathing, spending a good deal of our day in the water, as is the custom of the place. It is a real romp with Nature, for the great Pacific rollers come sweeping in and break over you, rolling you over on the sand if they catch you unawares. It was a golden patch in our restless lives. — The Wanderings of a Spiritualist (1921) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, visited Australia in 1920-1921 durin a series of lecture tours on spiritualism. NSW Ministry for the Arts. Writers Walk. »
- Conan Doyle only stayed in Plymouth in may-june 1882 with Dr. Budd, then he moved to Southsea.
- The real street name is : Durnford.
- The real title is A Study in Scarlet.
- The real count is 60, see the complete list of Sherlock Holmes stories.
- D.B.E. = Dame of the British Empire
- Franco-Midland Hardware Company (a Sherlockian Society)
- Not confirmed according to Brian W. Pugh in his Chronology.
- The right spelling is of course: Arthur...
- In fact, Conan Doyle only spent a few hours at this house.