Poem on the S.S. Elbe
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
On 27 september 1894, Arthur Conan Doyle was on board the S.S. Elbe en route to New York. During the voyage he wrote the following poem in Captain Kurt von Goessel's autograph album.
- in The Boston Globe (31 january 1895 [US])
- in South Wales Daily News (28 February 1895 [UK])
- in The Gazette (Montreal) (12 march 1895 [CA])
- in El Paso Daily Times (9 april 1895 [US])
- in Ann Arbor Argus (26 april 1895 [US])
- in The Wilmington Morning Star (16 june 1895 [US])
Luck to the Elbe in every weather,
May her fortune never fail her;
Boat and master match together,
Gallant ship and gallant sailor.