Round the Fire Stories
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Round the Fire Stories is a volume collecting 17 short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle first published in 1908 by Smith, Elder & Co. (UK), and the same year by McClure (US). As Conan Doyle wrote in his preface, this volume include stories concerned with the grotesque and with the terrible.
- Preface by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Leather Funnel
- The Beetle Hunter *
- The Man with Watches *
- The Pot of Caviare
- The Japanned Box *
- The Black Doctor *
- Playing with Fire
- The Jew's Breastplate *
- The Lost Special *
- The Club-Footed Grocer *
- The Sealed Room *
- The Brazilian Cat *
- The Usher of Lea House *
- The Brown Hand *
- The Fiend of the Cooperage
- Jelland's Voyage
- B. 24 *
(*) In the first english edition (Smith, Elder & Co., 1908) the titles have been shortened or modified from the original ones from the magazines.
- Round the Fire Stories (24 september 1908, Smith, Elder & Co. [UK]) frontispiece by André Castaigne
- Round the Fire Stories (24 september 1908, George Bell & Sons colonial edition [UK])
- Round the Fire Stories (17 october 1908, The McClure Company [US])
- Round the Fire Stories (october 1908, Bernhard Tauchnitz No. 4077 [DE])
- in The Crowborough Edition of the Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle vol. 22 (1930, Doubleday, Doran & Co. [US])
- Autour du feu (1946, Société Parisienne d'édition [FR])
Smith, Elder & Co. (1908)
In a previous volume, "The Green Flag," I have assembled a number of my stories which deal with warfare or with sport. In the present collection those have been brought together which are concerned with the grotesque and with the terrible — such tales as might well be read "round the fire" upon a winter's night. This would be my ideal atmosphere for such stories, if an author might choose his time and place as an artist does the light and hanging of his picture. However, if they have the good fortune to give pleasure to any one, at any time or place, their author will be very satisfied.
ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE.