Sidmouth v. M.C.C. (article 17 august 1903)
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Result was a draw.
Sidmouth v. M.C.C.
The overnight not outs resumed the Sidmouth innings on Saturday, and the side were all dismissed for 135, or one less than their opponents. The M.C.C. sent in G. Hearne and McCormick. Hearne was sent in with 26 to his credit. But all the efforts of the Sidmouth bowling could not shift McCormick, who carried out his bat for a splendid 130. After six wickets had fallen the M.C.C. declared, with their score at 236. Sidmouth, at the call of time, had scored 121 for the loss of three wickets. Scores:—
SIDMOUTH. — 1st Innings.
- L S Wells, c Murrell, b Geeson ... 19
- M W Payne, b Geeson ... 4
- S Brutton, b Hearne ... 10
- Rev E B Brutton, b Hearne ... 11
- J F Orchard, c Geeson ... 6
- C Wells, c Hearne, b Geeson ... 32
- Capt F W Foley, b Hearne ... 10
- D J Brandt, b Geeson ... 0
- W H Hunt, st Geeson, b Robinson ... 34
- G Hardy, st Martin, b Geeson ... 5
- H R Hunt, not out ... 4
- Extras ... 0
- Total ... 135
Second Innings. — L S Wells, not out, 57; C Wells, c and b Geeson, 8; S Brutton, l b w, b Geeson, 10; Rev E B Brutton, c Geeson, b Robinson, 1; J F Orchard, not out, 25; extras, 20; total, 121.
M W Payne, Capt Foley, W H Hunt, R D Brandt, H R Hunt, and G Hardy did not bat.
M.C.C. — 2nd Innings.
- G Hearne. b Wells ... 26
- Rev McCormick, not out ... 130
- Geeson, c Payne, b Brutton ... 8
- Murrell, c Capt Foley, b Brutton ... 37
- J N Martin, run out ... 0
- Sir A Conan Doyle, c Wells ... 4
- Attfield, c Payne, b Brutton ... 7
- C G Pope, not out ... 18
- Extras ... 6
- Total ... 236
J O McCormick, S Robinson, and A L Onslow did not bat.