From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Sidney Edward Paget (4 october 1860 - 28 january 1908) was a British illustrator famous for his illustrations of the Sherlock Holmes stories in The Strand Magazine. He drew 356 illustrations for 38 Sherlock Holmes stories, but he also illustrated a lot of non-detective stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle. Almost 600 illustrations overall.
He had two brothers who were also illustrators (and who also illustrated some Conan Doyle's works) : Walter Paget and Henry M. Paget. As a consequence, in 1891, when the Strand editor, George Newnes, asked art director W. H. Boot to find an illustrator for the Sherlock Holmes stories, the latter sent an offer to Walter Paget but the letter arrived to Sidney Paget.
After the death of Sidney Paget in 1908, the editor of the Strand chose various artists to continue the illustrations, and one was Walter Paget for the short story: The Adventure of the Dying Detective (4 illustrations).
- Strange Studies from Life: I. The Holocaust of Manor Place (march 1901, The Strand Magazine) 4 ill.
- Strange Studies from Life: II. The Love Affair of George Vincent Parker (april 1901, The Strand Magazine) 5 ill.
- Strange Studies from Life: III. The Debatable Case of Mrs. Emsley (may 1901, The Strand Magazine) 5 ill.
- The Hound of the Baskervilles (august 1901- april 1902) 60 ill.
- The Adventure of the Empty House (october 1903) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Norwood Builder (november 1903) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Dancing Men (december 1903) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist (january 1904) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Priory School (february 1904) 9 ill.
- The Adventure of Black Peter (march 1904) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton (april 1904) 6 ill.
- The Adventure of the Six Napoleons (may 1904) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Three Students (june 1904) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez (july 1904) 8 ill.
- The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter (august 1904) 7 ill.
- The Adventure of the Abbey Grange (september 1904) 8 ill.
- The Adventure of the Second Stain (october 1904) 8 ill.