The Case of Laker, Absconded
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
|<< S01E12 The Ripening Rubies||S02E01 The Mysterious Death on the Underground Railway >>|
The Case of Laker, Absconded is the 13th episode in season 1 of the BBC TV series: The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes. Aired on 9 december 1971. 50 min.
Martin Hewitt is a fictional character created by Arthur Morrison en 1894.
- Peter Barkworth (Martin Hewitt) also played colonel Ross in episode Silver Blaze of the TV series Sherlock Holmes in 1988 with Jeremy Brett.
- Ronald Hines (Jonathan Pryde) also played Sir Reginald Cholmondley in the TV movie Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady in 1991 with Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee. He also played Henry Matthews in the British TV mini-series Jack the Ripper in 1988 with Michael Caine.
- Jane Lapotaire (Emily Shaw) also played Annie Harrison in episode The Naval Treaty of the TV series Sherlock Holmes with Peter Cushing in 1968.
- Charles Lloyd Pack (Neal) also played in the parodic movie The Best House in London with Peter Jeffrey as Sherlock Holmes in 1969.
- Toke Townley (Lost property assistant) also played Jabez Wilson in episode The Red-Headed League of the TV series Sherlock Holmes avec Douglas Wilmer in 1965.
A junior bank clerk elopes with a fortune-but without his fiancee. The police reconstruct the absconder's route, from bank to train station to the Continent. However, Martin Hewitt believes the trail is a little too easy to follow. With the help of the jilted lover, he embarks on a search to discover what really happened to the missing man.
- Martin Hewitt : Peter Barkworth
- Jonathan Pryde : Ronald Hines
- Emily Shaw : Jane Lapotaire
- Inspector Plummer : Arthur Pentelow
- Sam Gunter : Tim Hardy
- Mr. Neal : Charles Lloyd Pack
- Mr. Lister : Anthony Sharp
- Parsloe : James Ottaway
- Mr. Merston : Michael Lynch
- Lost Property Man : Leslie Dwyer
- Lost Property Assistant : Toke Townley
- Estate Agent : John Kidd
- Travel Clerk : Malcolm McFee
- Henry Stevens : Michael Cashman
- Wilkins : Joe Dunlop
- Buller's Bank Clerk : Barry Ashton
- Maid : Lynette Erving
- Charles Laker : Roger Gartland
- Peach : Brian Godfrey
- Bank Porter : Wally Thomas
- Director : Jonathan Alwyn
- Screenplay : Philip Mackie
- Producers : Robert Love, Lloyd Shirley
- Music : Robert Sharples