The Case of the Dixon Torpedo
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
|<< S01E07 Madame Sara||S01E09 The Woman in the Big Hat >>|
The Case of the Dixon Torpedo is the 8th episode in season 1 of the BBC TV series: The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes. Aired on 8 november 1971. 50 min.
Originally, "The Case of the Dixon Torpedo" was written in 1894 by Arthur Morrison featuring Martin Hewitt as the investigator. However Hewitt didn’t feature in this adaptation, instead a new detective (Jonathan Pryde) was created.
- Ronald Hines (Jonathan Pryde) also played Sir Reginald Cholmondley in the TV movie Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady in 1991. And he played Henry Matthews in the TV mini-series Jack the Ripper in 1988.
- Derek Francis (Dixon) also played Mycrofts Holmes in episode The Bruce-Partington Plans in 1965, and he played John Scott Eccles with Peter Cushing in episode Wisteria Lodge in 1968.
- Cyril Shaps (Hunter) also played Reverend Smoot in episode The Kingdom of Bones in TV series Murder Rooms: Mysteries of the Real Sherlock Holmes. He played Emperor François-Joseph in TV series Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady in 1991 with Christopher Lee. He played Orlov in episode The Adventure of the Disappearing Dispatch Case (Part 2) in TV series The Baker Street Boys in 1983.
- Michael Poole (Ivanov) also played Bukovsky in episode The Adventure of the Disappearing Dispatch Case (Part 2) of TV series The Baker Street Boys in 1983.
- Paul Williamson (RN Captain Harris) also played inspector Hopkins in episode The Abbey Grange in TV series Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett in 1986.
Petty crime and international espionage intertwine when the Russian embassy hires Jonathan Pryde to do one job and his own government hires him for another. The private investigator discovers that the two cases-a money-counterfeiting operation and the theft of plans for a Royal Navy torpedo-are linked.
- Jonathan Pryde : Ronald Hines
- Dixon : Derek Francis
- Jenny Pryde : Jacqueline Pearce
- Roberts : James Bolam
- Hunter : Cyril Shaps
- Ivanov : Michael Poole
- Prince Oblonsky : Raf de la Torre
- Winfield : Bill Wallis
- Gillow : David King
- RN Captain Harris : Paul Williamson
- Maggie : Madeleine Mills
- William : Jonathan Collins
- Director : Jim Goddard
- Screenplay : Stuart Hood
- Producers : Jonathan Alwyn, Lloyd Shirley
- Music : Robert Sharples