Difference between revisions of "The Lost World (TV movie 2001)"
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Latest revision as of 11:40, 23 July 2015
The Lost World is a British TV movie produced by BBC released on 25 december 2001 starring Bob Hoskins as Professor Challenger. 145 minutes.
The movie is an adaptation of the Conan Doyle's novel: The Lost World (1912).
The movie is the most faithful adaptation of the original novel so far, with only a few differences:
- Maple White is replaced by Luis Mendoza (1649).
- More characters are added to the expedition, Agnes Cluny and Rev. Theo Kerr, to bring an opposition between theology and darwinism.
- Rev. Theo Kerr destroys the bridge trunk (instead of Gomez).
- Life with the indian natives is developed (not in the original story).
- Lord Roxton fell in love with a native (Maree) and stayed on the Plateau.
- Mr. Potts is renamed by Mr. Hare.
- After his return to London, Challenger announced that The Lost World doesn't exist, to preserve it.
Prof. George Challenger
Prof. Leo Summerlee
Lord John Phillip Roxton
Reverend Theo Kerr
(Tamati Te Nohotu)
Mrs. Hilda Summerlee
- Prof. George Challenger : Bob Hoskins
- Prof. Leo Summerlee : James Fox
- Lord John Phillip Roxton : Tom Ward
- Edward Malone : Matthew Rhys
- Agnes Cluny : Elaine Cassidy
- Reverend Theo Kerr : Peter Falk
- Indian Chief : Nathaniel Lees
- Achille : Tamati Te Nohotu
- Maree : Nicole Whippy
- Indian Leader : Inia Maxwell
- Mrs. Hilda Summerlee : Tessa Peake-Jones
- McArdle : Tim Healy
- Gladys : Joanna Page
- Arthur Hare : Tom Goodman-Hill
- Prof. Illingworth : Robert Hardy
- Lead Ape : Malcolm Shields
- Apes : Paul Joseph, Jane Howie, Mason West, Julia Walshaw
- Reporter at Docks : Michael Bertenshaw
- Stuttgart Man : Jasper Jacob
- Businessman #1 : David Quilter
- Businessman #2 : Terry Mortimer
- Reporter #1 : Brian Abbott
- Reporter #2 : Dominic Rowan
- Angry Man : Laurence Kennedy
- Director : Stuart Orme
- Screenplay : Adrian Hodges, Tony Mulholland, Arthur Conan Doyle (novel)
- Producers : Christopher Hall
- Executive Producer : Delia Fine, Kate Harwood, Jane Tranter
- Co-Producer : Tim Haines
- Supervising Producer : Emilio Nunez
- Line Producer : Lee Morris, Nicola Olsen
- Original Music : Rob Lane
- Cinematography : David Odd
- Film Editor : David Yardley
- Casting : Janey Fothergill
- Production Design : Rob Harris
- Art Direction : Gary Mackay, Catrin Meredydd
- Costume Design : James Keast
- Makeup Designer : Jill Hagger
- Special Makeup Effects Artist : Josh Weston
- Post-Production Supervisor : Kate Stannard