Difference between revisions of "Travels"
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Latest revision as of 12:23, 31 August 2019
Arthur Conan Doyle was a frequent traveller. Not counting his travels inside UK, here is the list of his numerous travels abroad:
- Aged 16, he went to Stella Matutina (a Stonyhurst branch school) in Feldkirch (Austria) where he stayed one year.
- Returning from Austria in june, he went to Paris (France) to visit his Godfather and Great-Uncle Michael Edward Conan, for a few weeks.
- Aged 21, he served as surgeon on the Greenland whaler Hope for 7 months in the Arctic.
- Conan Doyle went to Lismore (Ireland) for holidays with friends.
- From october 1881 to january 1882, he served as surgeon on board the SS Mayumba to West Africa
- In november, he visited Paris (France).
- In november, he went to Berlin (Germany) to investigate the Robert Koch's tuberculosis cure.
- In january, he went to Vienna (Austria) with his wife Louisa to study ophtalmology.
- When they left Vienna, they went to Paris, Venice and Milan.
- In august, he made a cricket tour in Holland.
- In august, he visited Norway with Louise (pregnant with Kinsgley), Connie and Jerome K. Jerome.
- He toured in Switzerland, visiting Reichenbach Falls, Davos, Lucerne and Zermatt.
- During summer, Conan Doyle and family spent holidays at Maloja (Switzerland).
- In september, he and his brother Innes travelled in USA and Canada for a lecturing tour during 3 months.
- He returned to Davos (Switzerland) at Christmas.
- He went several times in Switzerland (Caux, Maloja, Lucerne) for the sake of his wife.
- They crossed Italy to reach Egypt and Sudan for a 6-month trip.
- He sailed to Cape Town, South Africa with the Langham Hospital for the Boer war for 5 months.
- In april, he went to Italy, Switzerland and France.
- In september-november, Conan Doyle and his new wife Jean spent their honeymoon in Paris, Berlin, Venice, Rome, Constantinople, Dresden, Naples, Athens, Smyrna.
- In september, Conan Doyle and Jean went to Mediterranean (Portugal, Spain and Morocco).
- In july, he was in Homburg, Cologne, Münster, Bremerhaven (Germany) for The Prince Henry Tour.
- In september, he was in Le Touquet, France.
- In may, Conan Doyle ad Jean went to the Riviera in France, Egypt, Greece, Italy and Switzerland.
- From may to july, Conan Doyle and Jean toured in USA and Canada lecturing about literature.
- Conan Doyle visited the War Front in France and met his brother Innes and his son Kingsley as well as in North Italy to inspect the Italian army.
- From september 1920 to march 1921, Conan Doyle visited Australia and New Zealand for a lecturing tour about spiritualism.
- From april to june 1922, Conan Doyle with Jean and his 3 children toured in USA and Canada for a lecturing tour about spiritualism.
- He toured again in USA and Canada from march to august.
- In december, he took some rest in Grinwald, Switzerland.
- From november 1928 to april 1929, Conan Doyle and his family travelled around Africa from South Africa to Egypt.
- He continued touring giving lectures about spiritualism in Europe: Scandinavia, Holland, Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, and Norway.
After these last tours, Arthur Conan Doyle was too exhausted to travel again...