Belly Speaker is the 9th episode of season 1 of the Canadian TV series Murdoch Mysteries produced by Shaftesbury Films / Granada International aired on 20 march 2008. 46 minutes.
About Conan Doyle in this fiction:
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is played by Geraint Wyn Davies.
- He is sometimes depicted as a dumb person or interested in women, drunk and boxing in a pub. Willing to copy Murdoch methods. However, he was able to help solving a previous crime thanks to his oriental knowledge.
- He is called "Mr. Doyle" (rather than "Conan Doyle") throughout the whole episode.
- He confesses to Murdoch the disease (tuberculosis) of his (first) wife Louise ("Touie"), and his presence to Toronto is to find a remedy for her.
References to Sherlock Holmes:
- The puppet is named Mycroft like the Sherlock Holmes' brother first name.
Arthur Conan Doyle is again in Toronto wanting to participate to Detective Murdoch investigations for inspiration for a new Sherlock Holmes story. Detective Murdoch investigates the murder of Rod Grimesby but is troubled by the confession of the victim's son Harcout, a ventriloquist, via his puppet Mycroft.
- Detective William Murdoch : Yannick Bisson
- Dr. Julia Ogden : Hélène Joy
- Inspector Thomas Brackenreid : Thomas Craig
- Constable George Crabtree : Jonny Harris
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle : Geraint Wyn Davies
- Harcourt / Mycroft Grimesby : Gavin Crawford
- Stanley Paulk : Stephen Jackson
- Emmy Paulk : Marilla Wex
- Roderick Grimesby : Duncan McLeod
- Puppeteer : Eric Woolfe
- Director : Farhad Mann
- Screenplay : Larry Lalonde, Philip Bedard, Maureen Jennings (novels)
- Producer : Jan Peter Meyboom
- Executive Producer : Cal Coons, Scott Garvie, Noel Hedges, Christina Jennings
- Co-Producer : Laura Harbin, Shane Kinnear, Julie Lacey
- Creative Producer : Derek Schreyer
- Original Music : Robert Carli
- Cinematography : David Perrault
- Film Editor : Tom Joerin
- Casting : Deirdre Bowen
- Production Design : Sandra Kybartas
- Art Director : Armando Sgrignuoli
- Set Decoration : Andrew Kawczynski
- Costume Design : Alexander Reda