Caroline Mary Burton Doyle
From The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia
Family photo. Lottie is standing 4th from right, with her husband Leslie Oldham on her left (1904).
Arthur Conan Doyle about Lottie
In his autobiography Memories and Adventures (1923), Arthur Conan Doyle mentioned his sister :
- « My noble sister Annette [...] went out at a very early age as a governess to Portugal and sent all her salary home. My younger sisters, Lottie and Connie, both did the same thing. »
- « My sister Lottie, free at last from the work which she had so bravely done, had now joined us. [...] In the meantime Lottie's presence and the improvement of the invalid [his wife Louisa], which was so marked that no sudden crisis was thought at all possible, gave me renewed liberty of action. »
- « I then set forth, picked up my wife and my sister Lottie at Caux and took them on by easy stages through Italy, stopping a few days at Rome, and so to Brindisi, where we picked up a boat for Egypt. Once at Cairo we took up our quarters at the Mena Hotel, in the very shadow of the Pyramids, and there we settled down for the winter. »
- 22 february : Birth at Liberton Bank, Edinburgh.
- March : She was baptised at St. Mary's Cathedral, Broughton, Edinburgh. Her sponsors were James Doyle (uncle) and Mary Burton.
- 2-3 april : She was living at 3 Sciennes Hill Place, Edinburgh with her parents and his sister Constance.
- Aged 15, she was at the Institution St. Clotilde in Les Andelys, 20 km south-east of Rouen, in France, where her sister Annette was also in 1870.
- September : She arrived in Portugal.
- Spring : She visited the Isle of Wight with his brother Arthur, his sister Annette and a friend Jessie Drummond.
- 17 september : She visited Southsea.
- November : She travelled to Paris with his brother Arthur and Emily Hawkins.
- She and her sister Connie were governess in Portugal.
- 21 october : She returned to England and took up residence with his brother Arthur Conan Doyle at 12 Tennison Road, South Norwood.
- Arthur, Louisa and Lottie travelled to Egypt from Lucerne through Milan, Florence, Rome, Naples and Brindisi.
- 2 november : In Cairo, Lottie and Arthur climbed the Great Pyramid.
- January : Arthur, Louisa and Lottie celebrated the New Year in Cairo, then travelled down the Nile on board the Nitocris as far as Wady Halfa.
- April : They returned to England and settled at Grayswood Beeches, Haslemere, waiting for Undershaw builing to be completed.
- September : She joined her brother Innes India at Umballa. She met Leslie Oldham, Captain in the Royal Engineers.
- 29 september : She left India for England.
- 27 august : She married Leslie Oldham at Nagpur, India.
- 28 may : Lottie and her husband Leslie arrived in England from India.
- 5 september : She gave birth to her daughter, Claire Oldham.
- 17 july : Lottie, Leslie, Claire and Innes went from Chester to Taporley in the hope to see Arthur Conan Doyle on the Prince Henry Tour route.
- 28 july : Death of her husband Leslie, killed in action.
- October : Innes took Mary, Kingsley, Percy, Lottie, and Claire to the theatre to see A Little Bit of Fluff.
- 3 january : She was present at the baptism of her nephew Francis Kingsley Doyle, son of her brother Innes and Clara.
- 11 july : She was present at the garden funeral of Arthur Conan Doyle.
- 3 may : She died, aged 77, at The Wickham Nursing Home, Lewes, Sussex.